Addison Hutton Collection (197)
This collection comprises two original drawings for two projects on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.
Biographical / Historical Sketch
Addison Hutton was born in 1834 in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. He worked for Samuel Sloan from 1857 to 1861 and opened his own office in Philadelphia in 1863. After a brief period in partnership with Samuel Sloan (Sloan & Hutton, 1864-1867), he returned to independent practice. In 1902, Hutton was recruited to teach at the University's new Department of Architecture, where he lectured on construction. In 1904, he formed a partnership with his nephews, which later became the firm of Savery, Scheetz & Savery. He became a consultant to the firm in 1907 and retired fully in 1910.
Scope & Content Note
This collection comprises two original drawings for two projects on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania, a watercolor rendering of the Nurses' Home (1891, built) and a plan for proposed dormitory buildings (1892, unbuilt). Hutton's proposed dormitories would have enclosed the block north of Spruce Street, bounded by 36th Street and Woodland Avenue, a site later developed as the Wistar Institute.