Philadelphia International Airport Terminal (1952-53)
University of Pennsylvania Franklin Building (1964-67)
Bucks County Courthouse Building (1955-62)
Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen Collection (087)
The collection comprises architectural drawings and photoprints, documenting twenty three projects designed between 1946 and ca. 1978 by the firm of Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen and its successor firm, J. Roy Carroll, Jr. & Associates.
Biographical / Historical Sketch
Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen was formed in 1946, when William L. Van Alen (1907-2003) joined J. Roy Carroll, Jr. (1904-1990) and John T. Grisdale (1904-1985), who had formed a partnership the previous year. All were graduates of the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Architecture. The reputation of the firm was quickly established with important commissions for the City of Philadelphia, including the Youth Study Center and the International Airport. The firm continued until 1973, when J. Roy Carroll, Jr. & Partners was formed. Between 1977 and his retirement in 1985, Carroll practiced independently.
Scope & Content Note
The collection comprises 55 architectural drawings and 21 photoprints, documenting 23 projects designed between 1946 and 1978 by the firm of Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen and its successor firm, J. Roy Carroll, Jr. & Partners.
The bulk of the collection comprises rendered presentation drawings delineated by John T. Grisdale and the otherwise unidentified “Oakes” and “Kempa”. Photographic materials include reproductions of graphics as well as views of various built works. The collection also contains a photocopy of Carroll’s submission dated 1989 for the American Institute of Architects Architectural Biography project. This document includes extensive biographical information as well as a “partial list of projects.”
The collection contains no reports, project or office files. The collection contains no materials for the Youth Study Center in Philadelphia.