Day & Klauder, c. 1916
Day & Klauder Collection (069)
The collection comprises architectural drawings, photographic materials and other records documenting over 200 buildings and projects designed between 1895-1958 by the architectural firm of Day and Klauder or by their predecessor or successor firms. Predecessor firms represented in the collection are Frank Miles Day and Brother; and Day Brothers and Klauder. Successor firms are Charles Z. Klauder, architect; Office of Charles Z. Klauder; and Trautwein and Howard, architects. Projects include private commissions, public buildings, and the firm's extensive work for collegiate institutions.
The firm of Day and Klauder was established by Frank Miles Day (1861-1918) and Charles Z. Klauder (1872-1938) in 1913. Day was educated in Philadelphia at the University of Pennsylvania's Towne School and in London at the South Kensington School of Art and the Royal Academy. He began independent practice in 1887, and in 1893 he formed a partnership (Frank Miles Day and Brother) with his elder brother, H. Kent Day (1851-1925). Klauder, who had begun his career at age fifteen working in the architectural office of T. P. Chandler, became chief draftsman for Frank Miles Day and Brother in 1900; by 1911 he was made a partner, forming Day Brothers and Klauder. H. Kent Day retired in 1912, and the firm became Day and Klauder in 1913.
Klauder continued the firm after Day’s death in 1918. He began practicing under his own name beginning in 1927 and remained in independent practice until his death in 1938. He was succeeded by George Karl Trautwein (1898-1974) and Almern C. Howard (1883-1954), both veterans of the Day and Klauder firm, who practiced through 1945 under the name Office of Charles Z. Klauder, registered architects. The firm was then renamed Trautwein & Howard, architects (fl. 1946-c. 1958).
The firm's works included private, public, and ecclesiastical buildings, in addition to extensive work for academic institutions throughout the United States. Their masterwork, the Undergraduate Dormitories at Princeton University (1908-1911), is considered a highpoint of the "Collegiate Gothic" style.
Scope and Content Note
The collection comprises architectural drawings, photographic materials and other records documenting over 200 buildings and projects designed between 1895 and 1958 by the architectural firm of Day and Klauder, their predecessor, or successor firms. Predecessor firms represented in the collection are Frank Miles Day and Brother; and Day Brothers and Klauder. Successor firms represented are Charles Z. Klauder, architect; Office of Charles Z. Klauder; and Trautwein & Howard, architects. Projects represented in the collection include private commissions, public buildings, and the firm's extensive work for collegiate institutions. Holdings include designs for the following notable clients: Concordia Seminary; Cornell University; Drexel & Company; Violet Oakley; Pennsylvania State University; Princeton University; R. R. Donnelley and Sons Company; St. Paul’s School; Trinity Church, Wilmington; University of Chicago; University of Colorado at Boulder; University of Delaware; University of Pennsylvania; University of Pittsburgh; Wellesley College; Samuel P. Wetherill (later the Philadelphia Art Alliance); and Yale University.
The bulk of the original drawings and prints in the collection were received from John Lloyd, who acquired the office of Trautwein and Howard in the early 1960s. During 1985-1991 he distributed a large number of original architectural drawings to original clients or current owners of the firm's built works. Lloyd gave to the University of Pennsylvania the drawings for buildings at the University, as well as the remaining drawings and other materials he was not able to distribute. An inventory, dated 1958, of drawings held by the office is found in this collection (see 069.239). The inventory lists drawings done by Klauder himself, but only one of these is found in this collection, an original perspective rendering for the Concordia Seminary, signed and dated by Klauder (see 069.9). Others may have been lost or destroyed before the collection was given to the University.
The largest portion of the collection consists of photographic materials (photoprints, cyanotype prints and photonegatives, both film and glass plate) which extensively document buildings and projects from 1908 to 1938. In addition to a wide array of images documenting the built works, the collection includes a large number of glass plate negatives of the firm’s presentation drawings, chiefly renderings by Charles Z. Klauder. These negatives are particularly important because many original drawings by Klauder are not found in this collection and may, as noted above, have been lost or destroyed.
The collection contains a very limited number of project and office files. The most valuable office document is the abovementioned "Index of Drawings" which contains an extensive index to the firm's projects and job numbers (see 069.239).
Personal records of Charles Z. Klauder contained in this collection include photographic documentation of over 20 travel sketches (1895-1925) and photographic documentation of a yacht model built by the architect (ca. 1925). This collection contains no personal materials related to Frank Miles Day. See the Frank Miles Day Collection (Collection #059).
The collection also contains materials related to two buildings by Frank Furness (Furness, Evans and Company): photoprints of Recitation Hall, University of Delaware (1891); and photoprints and survey drawings of The National Bank of the Republic (1883-1884).
I. Project Records, 1899-1955; bulk 1913-1938.
A. Drawings. (069.1-069.35)
656 architectural drawings and 194 prints.
B. Photoprints. (069.36-069.99)
C. Photonegatives. (069.100-069.189)
77 film negatives and 308 glass plate negatives.
D. Mounted photoprints and cyanotype prints. (069.190-069.231)
42 mounted photoprints and 1770 mounted cyanotype prints.
E. Miscellaneous and unidentified material. (069.232)
5 drawings (renderings by Schell Lewis) and 6 photoprints.
II. Office Records, 1898-1958, bulk ca. 1918-1938.
28 photoprints, 48 cyanotype prints, 63 drawings, and 0.5 cubic feet of papers.
III. Personal Records, 1895-1925.
7 glass plate negatives and 26 cyanotype prints.