Yesterday, February 1, marked the end of the Quiet Period, during which there were added restrictions on public spaces on campus to help reduce the spread of COVID at the start of the semester.
As a reminder, Penn has suspended on-campus operations again today due to Winter Nor’easter Storm Orlena. All classes will be held online. PennCares COVID Screening Testing is suspended. Irvine Auditorium will remain open for symptomatic and close contact testing. The building access outlined below will resume tomorrow, February 3, pending the resumption of normal operations.
This email contains an overview of what’s open and available to you this semester. We’ll keep you updated as resources may change throughout the semester based on public health guidance. Please refer to the Weitzman website for additional information about Spring 2021 Guidelines.
Weitzman Building Access
The Weitzman Buildings of Meyerson, Fisher, Morgan, Addams, Duhring Wing, Franklin Annex, and 3401 Walnut are open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 8:00pm, with Morgan having hours Saturdays, 12:00pm – 4:00pm. Students may enter the buildings for class and studio meeting, individual study, research, and 3D printing/fab lab contactless service.
All students of departments that have scheduled in-person studios have access to a studio desk which they may use for up to 4 hours per day. These assigned four hours are during normal building hours (listed above) and are specific to the four hours of the studio schedule assigned to you. Even if your studio instructor teaches remotely you may still occupy your studio seat. (Students should contact their department if they have questions about their studio access schedule.)
There are three options for Weitzman students wishing to use study space on campus:
- Meyerson Hall: reservations to study in 2ndand 3rd floor studio spaces can be made by emailing Weitzman Facilities. Reservations will be confirmed as space permits. Reservations are available Monday-Friday between 8:00am – 8:00pm.
- Van Pelt Library: Reservations can be made for 3-hour sessions (Monday – Thursday, 11:00am – 7:00pm) and Friday (12:00pm – 5:00pm).
- Houston Hall: Reservations can be made for a 3-hour session (Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 12:00pm or 1:00pm – 4:00pm).
Reservations for exhibition spaces are made by departmental coordinators for safe group meetings, pin ups, and presentations. Students cannot make reservations on their own for exhibition space, but they can participate in person when the department has a reservation.
The Fab Lab is open for contactless laser cutting, CNC Routing, and 3D printing.
- Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 8:00pm
- Help Window Hours: Monday – Thursday, 9:00am – 6:00pm; Friday: 9:00am – 4:00pm
- The Fab Lab website contains detailed instructions on how to utilize the Fab Lab Services for contactless fabrication.
The following computer labs are available to students this semester during the hours the building is open, and when classes are not meeting in the lab:
***ACCESS TO ALL OF THESE FACILITIES REQUIRES A GREEN PENNOPEN PASS, APPROPRIATE PPE (MASK OR FACE COVERING), AND TEMPERATURE CHECK. ACCESS TO THE BUILDING IS LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF FOUR HOURS PER DAY.
Emily McCully, ML, MSW
Director of Student Services