All PennDesign students must apply to graduate by the term deadline:
- Summer 2017 Expected Graduates: June 2, 2017
- Fall 2017 Expected Graduates: October 20, 2017
Expected graduates enrolled in the M.S. in Architecture, Ph.D. in Architecture, A.M. in City Planning and/or the Ph.D. in City Planning programs must also apply to graduate with Graduate Arts and Sciences:
All 2017-18 graduates will be invited to participate in the festivities. Details will be provided in February.
Applying to Graduate
All PennDesign students must apply to graduate:
- The graduation application is available on the PennDesign website at: http://www.design.upenn.edu/forms/graduation-application.
- PennDesign degree plus certificate students must submit a graduation application for EACH degree. For example, a student who is enrolled in the Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) program and the Time-Based and Interactive Media (TBIM) certificate program must submit a graduation application for M.Arch and TBIM separately.
- PennDesign dual degree students complete both degrees in the same term and must submit a graduation application for each degree. For example, a student who is enrolled in the Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) and the Master of Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.) dual degree program must submit a graduation application for M.Arch. and M.L.A. separately.
- PennDesign dual degree students may NOT receive their degrees in separate terms.
- PennDesign students who are enrolled in a dual degree program at another school at the University must comply with both schools’ policies and procedures regarding applying for graduation, degree eligibility and commencement participation.
- Students enrolled in the Ph.D. in Architecture, Ph.D. in City Planning, or the M.S. in Architecture degree programs must also apply to graduate with the School of Graduate Arts and Sciences (GAS). The GAS application is available online at: https://fission.sas.upenn.edu/gas/degree/index.php.
Applying for graduation does not ensure that the degree will be conferred. Students are responsible for meeting all degree requirements and fulfilling all financial obligations prior to graduation. Students are responsible for ensuring that their academic record reflects all approved course substitutions and/or waivers prior to graduation. Deficient course grades must be submitted no later than two weeks after the grade submission deadline for the graduating term. Expected graduates who do not meet degree eligibility for any reason must reapply to graduate and if applicable, register for additional coursework in compliance with PennDesign’s continuous registration policy.
NO GRADE CHANGES ARE ACCEPTED ONCE A STUDENT HAS GRADUATED.
Students enrolled in the Ph.D. in Architecture, Ph.D. in City Planning, and the M.S. in Architecture must follow Graduate Arts and Sciences guidelines for thesis/dissertation submission.
The University of Pennsylvania and PennDesign hold one commencement ceremony in May of each year. Graduates from the previous summer and fall terms and expected graduates for the spring term are invited to participate in the University and PennDesign ceremonies. Expected graduates for the spring term must have ALL deficient grades from previous terms rectified by May 1st in order to participate in commencement. Spring term grades are due the Friday prior to the commencement festivities. As a result, expected graduates for the spring term who receive a deficient grade in a spring term course will be eligible to participate in commencement.
Detailed information regarding the University commencement ceremony can be found online at: http://www.upenn.edu/commencement/. Information regarding the PennDesign commencement festivities will be sent to all eligible participants by e-mail in February.
Students who need a formal invitation letter for an overseas guest for commencement should request the letter in person at the front desk of the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), located at 3701 Chestnut Street, Suite 1W. Please bring your PennID with you for identification purposes.
Diplomas are issued three times each year, in May, July and December. The diplomas of May graduates are mailed in July, the diplomas of August graduates are mailed in October and the diplomas of December graduates are mailed in February. Diplomas issued with errors will be replaced free of charge provided that the diploma office is notified within one year of conferral date. The original diploma must be returned before the reprinted one is sent out. For more information regarding diploma distribution please consult the following website: https://secure.www.upenn.edu/secretary/diplomas/.
Certificates will be mailed by the PennDesign Office of Student Services beginning on June 30th.
Transcripts are maintained centrally by the University Registrar NOT PennDesign. Students can request official transcripts electronically, by US mail and in person. For details on how to request an official transcript please consult the University Registrar’s website: http://www.upenn.edu/registrar/student-services/transcripts.html.
Graduation is posted to the student’s academic record within two weeks of the completion of the term. Students seeking an official transcript to confirm their graduation status should check their unofficial transcript via PennInTouch to confirm that their graduation has been posted prior to requesting an official transcript. If the student determines that their graduation has NOT been posted, the student should contact the PennDesign Office of Student Services for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions and/or concerns regarding all things related to graduation should be directed to the PennDesign Office of Student Services at: email@example.com or by phone at 215-898-6210.