Subscribe to Design Weekly: News from PennDesign
Degrees of Design
Student Work From Local Architecture + Design Schools
The University of Pennsylvania is excited to showcase our student's talents in partnership with the AIA Philadelphia. The opening reception will take place on Thursday April 6th. The exhibition runs from March 23rd to April 27th.
For more information visit the Philadelphia CFA website: http://www.philadelphiacfa.org/events/degrees-design
Thursday, April 6, 2017 | 5:30 – 7:30 PM | FREE!
@ the Center for Architecture and Design | 1218 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Join the Center for Architecture and Design for this panel discussion, presented in partnership with AIA Philadelphia, during the opening reception of our annual exhibition, Degrees of Design: Student Work From Local Architecture + Design Schools.
Finding Your Career Path: Six college classmates (UPenn B.A. in Design of the Environment, class of '82) discuss the planned and unplanned events that landed them in their current, successful careers. All planned to become architects - most did - and two still participate in “traditional” architecture practice 35 years later. Hear how one started her own firm and one became a partner in a legacy firm; how one came to work as the architect for a major university and one designs for the federal government; how one became a professor of design and one an entrepreneur specializing in uncommon design.
The discussion will be moderated by educator Carol Hermann of Philadelphia University and will feature:
- Lisa Armstrong | Founding partner Armstrong Kolbach, world class athlete, responsible for multiple Ivy League tuition bills
- Josh Bach | Founder Josh Bach Limited, Uncommon Design, handsome humorist
- Alfred ‘Chip’ Cypress | Federal Bureau of Prisons, musician and artist, looking at retirement
- Carol Hermann | Philadelphia University, molder of young minds
- Mark Kocent | University of Pennsylvania, client to Starchitects, major player in reshaping of West Philadelphia
- Sam Olshin | Principal Atkin Olshin Schade, the successful architect with the stable career we all thought we aspired to
- 5:30 PM - Snacks, Drinks, + Networking
- 6:00 PM - Panel Discussion
- 6:45 PM - More Snacks, Drinks, + Networking!