How to Apply for Financial Aid

Both US and non-US citizens are eligible for merit-based Weitzman School of Design scholarships. Candidates do not apply for these scholarships; rather, the faculty will distribute these during the admissions review.

Federal Loans and Work-Study (US Citizens/Permanent Residents)

Applicants who are applying for Federal loans and/or work-study must indicate this on their admissions application. Applicants should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and have it sent to Penn's Federal School Code 003378.

The FAFSA is available on October 1 each year for the following academic year; for example, the 2022-2023 FAFSA opened on October 1, 2021. We suggest that applicants file the FAFSA as soon as possible, but no later than February 15, to ensure that we get your information in time to determine your aid eligibility.

After the FAFSA has been filed, we work closely with the University's Office of Student Registration and Financial Services to put a financial aid package together to meet your educational needs at the time that you are admitted. Click here for SRFS' information on applying for loans. Detailed loan request instructions for the 2021-2022 academic year can be found here.

PhD Students

Ph.D. applicants do not need to submit financial aid forms or documentation as they will be automatically considered for the funded Ph.D. program. However, if a Ph.D. applicant has an external source of funding for the program, they should contact us at to let us know.

Notification Letters

Your financial aid letter, including scholarships and/or your eligibility for Federal loans and work-study will be available on March 10 when your admissions notification letter is posted. To access the letter, click on the "View Checklist" button. The letter is at the bottom of that page.