International Application Preparation

International students will need to provide the information described below, in addition to submitting the required online application and supporting materials.

Evaluated Transcripts

Course by Course Evaluation (Non-US Institutions except Canadian AAU-Affiliated Schools)
Applicants completing undergraduate and/or graduate degrees from institutions outside of the United States or who have completed more than one year of study for credit at a non-US institution are required to submit a either a BASIC course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services (WES) or a course-by-course evaluation from Educational Perspectives for each institution. Both services charge a fee to evaluate your credentials. You do not need to send us an official transcript from your school. You do not need to submit a course-by-course evaluation if you have taken courses for one year or less, or if you have attended an AAU-affiliated school (McGill University or University of Toronto); however, you will need to submit an official paper or electronic transcript from that institution. If you are admitted to your program before you have received your undergraduate degree, you will be required to submit a second evaluation or upgrade showing your conferred degree prior to entering the University of Pennsylvania Stuart Weitzman School of Design in the fall. Note: There is an additional charge for this service.

English Language Proficiency

All international applicants whose native language is not English and whose undergraduate training of at least 4 years has not been conducted in the English language must submit satisfactory certification of adequate English proficiency sufficient to pursue graduate study prior to consideration for admission. This certification will encompass both comprehension and expression in the spoken and written word. Applicants must submit scores of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson's PTE Academic, or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic). Applicants may register for the IELTS Academic at, for the PTE at, and for the TOEFL at The correct institution code to use when requesting official TOEFL scores is 2926; you do not need a departmental code. Candidates admitted to the Weitzman School may be required to successfully complete an English Language Program prior to matriculation. To be admitted without conditions, most departments require applicants to obtain a TOEFL score of 100 (internet-based) or higher, a PTE Academic score of 68 or higher, or an IELTS band score of 7.0 or higher.

Email Settings

Universities in the US tend to have some difficulty sending emails to or receiving emails from some international email addresses due to firewall issues and restrictions. In the meantime, we recommend setting up an email address through Yahoo or Gmail in order to keep any contact issues to a minimum.