Batcheler, Penelope Hartshorne
Penelope Hartshorne Batcheler Collection (134), Preservation Architect, 1928-2007
After receiving her bachelor's degree in architecture in 1953 from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Penelope Hartshorne Batcheler moved to the Philadelphia area around 1956, where she met historic preservationist Charles Peterson. Batcheler was the only woman on the team of preservationists who restored Independence Hall in the 1960s, and was involved in the restoration of Society Hill, Assembly Hall, Congress Hall, Old City Hall, Franklin Court, City Tavern, Old Swedes Church and many other significant buildings. She retired in 1993 as the chief architect for the National Park Service.
This collection contains student drawings from Batcheler's time at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
For more information about this collection, contact Heather Isbell Schumacher, Archivist, at email@example.com