Gallery & Study Room Hours
Harvey & Irwin Kroiz Gallery
Free and open to the public
10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Study Room Hours
Open by appointment only
10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (see Gallery Hours for holidays and special closures)
*Holiday and Special Closures for the 2018-2019 Academic Year
Closed: Labor Day (9/3); Thanksgiving (11/22 & 23); Winter recess (12/22/18-1/15/19); Martin Luther King Jr. Day (1/21/19); Special closure (5/21-6/21/19); Fourth of July (7/4);
Table Top Tours
The Architectural Archives holds one of the best and most extensive design archives in the world. The reading contains two thirteen foot tables, ready to be filled with treasures from our collection for your group. Tours are lead by Archives staff, and are customizable to your groups needs. Past topics have included: chinese architecture students at the University of Pennsylnaina, how to read a construction drawing, archival research strategies, and drawing and the creative process. Archives staff are available to consult with professors from any institution on ways to integrate our archival resources into your class.
To help us prepare for your tour, we require at least two weeks advance notice indicating the tour topic, how many people will be expected (we can only accomodate 20 at a time), and how long the session is expected to last (we recommend 60 minutes). Please contact Allison Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. for further information.
Visitor Tips and Policies
In order to protect works of art and to create an environment suitable for study, please observe the following Archives policies:
• Please do not touch the works of art or archival materials without the permission of the Archives staff.
• Food and drink are not allowed within the Kroiz Gallery without special authorization.
• Possession of dangerous materials, including firearms, is not permitted.
• Please be mindful of others, including our researchers, when using your cell phone.
• Handheld cameras without flash or tripod may be used in the Kroiz Gallery.
• Photographs cannot be commercially published, sold, reproduced, transferred or distributed.
• All photography in exhibitions of works of art on loan is prohibited.
• The use of pens is prohibited in the Kroiz Gallery and in the Archives’ reading room; only pencils may be used for taking notes or sketching.
• Sketchbooks are not to exceed 18 x 24 inches.
The Architectural Archives of the University of Pennsylvania occupies the lower level of the Fisher Fine Arts Library Building with an independent entrance located just off 34th Street adjacent to a pedestrian crossing at Smith Walk (originally Locust Street). The main entrance is up a short flight of steps and is marked by a plaque that reads “Architectural Archives / Kroiz Gallery.” Once inside the vestibule you’ll need to ring the intercom for entrance.
For barrier free access please call the Archives staff at 215-898-8323.
220 South 34th Street at Smith Walk
Lower Level of the Fisher Fine Arts Library building
Philadelphia, PA 19104
The Architectural Archives
University of Pennsylvania Stuart Weitzman School of Design
102 Meyerson Hall
210 South 34th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6311