Paul M. Cope earned an undergraduate degree from Haverford College (1947) and went on to earn a B. Arch. and M. Arch. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1950. Horace Mather Lippincott also attended Haverford (B.S. 1943) and earned an architecture degree form the University of Pennsylvania in 1948. While Lippincott established an independent practice in 1948, he also worked full-time in the firm of Oskar Stonorov between 1948-51. Before joining Lippincott to form Cope & Lippincott in 1957, Cope worked for two prominent Philadelphia firms: Sweet & Schwartz (1950-52) and Vincent G. Kling (1952-57).
This collection contains architectural drawings, project and office records, and photographic material related to the work of architects and professional partners, Paul M. Cope, Jr. and H. Mather Lippincott. Projects with the most extensive holdings include the NYU Art Conservation Center, Friends Neighborhood Guild House (1961-1965), Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Friends Center Complex (1971-1979), and the Fred W. Noyes Foundation Museum (1979-1981).