George M. D. Lewis Collection (139), architect, 1891-1987
Before graduating from high school, Lewis worked in the architecture office of F. L. Brown. Lewis went on to study architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, completing a B.. Arch., followed by an M. Arch. in 1916. After graduating, he enlisted in the U.S. Air Service in 1917, flying bombers over the Alps from Italy into France. After the war, Lewis returned to Scranton, and joined the office of Edward H. Davis, who had established an architectural practice in Scranton in 1891. Davis & Lewis continued until Davis's death in 1943. Lewis continued the firm under his own name until 1960, when Donaldson Berghauser was made a partner. The firm was discontinued in 1970.
This collection contains student work created at the University of Pennsylvania between 1912 and 1916, and a scrapbook and photos documenting student life.