Gilchrist, Edmund Beaman
Edmund Beaman Gilchrist Collection (007), Architect, 1885-1953
After receiving training from the Drexel Institute and the University of Pennsylvania, Gilchrist worked in the offices of Horace Trumbauer and Wilson Eyre in Philadelphia before opening his own practice. While in Eyre's office, Gilchrist worked with developer Dr. George Woodward on a development in Chestnut Hill called "St. Martin's." In the early 1930s, he served on the Philadelphia AIA’s special committee on the economics of site planning and housing, producing model designs, and on the Committee for Design for President Hoover's Conference on Home Building and Home Ownership.
This collection contains architectural drawings and blueprints, photographic prints, photographic negatives, and office files documenting buildings and projects by Gilchrist spanning the years 1908-1945. The collection also includes some materials dated 1955 and 1984 related to the Cosmopolitan Club in Philadelphia.