Mellor, Meigs, and Howe Collection (117), Architecture Firm, 1916-1928
Mellor & Meigs was established in Philadelphia in 1906 by Walter Mellor and Arthur Ingersoll Meigs, and specialized in residential architecture. In 1916, they were joined by George Howe, who had been trained at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris and brought an interest in larger scale institutional and commercial projects. The firm was known for its Neo-Norman residential designs. After 12 years of partnership and increasing tension, Howe left his partners in 1928 and formed a partnership with the Swiss architect, William Lescaze.
The Mellor, Meigs & Howe Collection comprises architectural records related to the practices of Mellor, Meigs & Howe and its predecessor and successor firms. The collection is rich in the domestic work of Mellor, Meigs & Howe and of Mellor & Meigs.